english.ruvr.ru – The Geneva-2 Conference has again been delayed
US Secretary of State John Kerry said that an international conference on the settlement of the conflict in Syria may take place in September at the earliest. Analysts say that the uncoordinated Syrian opposition and the USA’s refusal to invite Iran to take part in the Geneva-2 Conference is one of the main reasons hampering the efforts to agree the date for such an important event.
english.ruvr.ru – Lavrov and Kerry’s meeting: accumulated problems made the conversation extremely tense
Even before the trip to Brunei, Sergei Lavrov stated that “new questions” on the US position in the Syrian settlement would be the main issue of the talks with his American colleague. This includes the intention of the US administration to strengthen its assistance to the Syrian rebels, including through supplying some types of weapons, and the information that Washington was supplying weapons to Jordan to be then shipped to militants in Syria. On the eve of the negotiations, the media reported that the United States will also seek similar assistance on the part of some European states. Statements by the Saudi authorities that they will strengthen military assistance to the opposition, and their intention to seek an international resolution on recognizing the Bashar al-Assad regime as illegal, also added fuel to the fire. It is noteworthy that this was announced during John Kerry’s visit last week to Riyadh. At that time, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry clearly stated that all these decisions violated the principles of convening a peace conference on Syria – the so called Geneva-2. It remains unknown what questions he asked his American counterpart on Tuesday and Lavrov’s commentary to journalists was brief.
Press TV – Syrian troops kill dozens of militants during operations in Homs
Syrian Army soldiers have killed dozens of foreign-backed militants during mop-up operations in the western city of Homs.
Press TV – 10 people including kids injured in Damascus mortar attack
At least ten people including Syrian kids have been injured by foreign-backed militants in an attack on a residential area in the capital Damascus.
telegraph.co.uk – Syria: 3,500 tons of weapons already sent to rebels, says Lord Ashdown
Lord Ashdown, the former Liberal Democrat leader, spoke out against arming Syria’s rebels and called for pressure to be put on Qatar and Saudi Arabia to cut off funding for arms.
“They do not need arms. It is an unchallenged figure that 3,500 tons of arms have been shipped in by way of Croatia with the assistance of the CIA, funded by the Saudis, funded by the Qataris, going almost exclusively to the more jihadist groups,” the former international high representative for Bosnia said in a debate.
IS US really after solution for Syria crisis?