Christof Lehmann – Massive Blast Near Baath Party Headquarters kills Scores, FSA threatens Hezbollah
nsnbc contacted an explosives expert who analyzed photos from the blast site. According to the experts opinion, the blast-crater in the street as well as many other signatures indicate, that military grade high-explosives have been used in the attack. “It is impossible to cause this kind of damage with nitrate based explosives, mixed in a garage, or even with other commercial explosives. An explosion like this one and some of the previous bombings in Damascus are only possible because of the proliferation of military grade explosives from some of the countries who finance and arm the insurgents” he said.
Who is arming the Syrian rebels?
The Council of the European Union renewed its arms embargo on Syria this week by another three months, with the slight amendment to allow for “greater non-lethal support and technical assistance for the protection of civilians.” The council further affirmed that it would “actively continue the work underway to assess and review, if necessary, the sanctions regime against Syria in order to support and help the opposition.”
This decision, seen as a compromise between EU members that are solidly against direct military involvement in Syria and those that are ambiguously in favor of it (chiefly Britain), was, like all decisions taken at the supranational level, several months out of date and risibly insufficient.
In one of the most strangely neglected stories in the two-year Syria conflict, beginning on January 1, four new weapon models began appearing in large quantities in Daraa province, none used at any time by the Syrian military. The M60 recoilless gun, the M79 Osa rocket launcher, the RPG-22 rocket launcher and the Milkor MGL/RBG-6 grenade launcher hadn’t been shown in any opposition videos until the new year. Every device was used in a massive joint rebel operation against Busr al-Harir, a town previously safely in regime hands to the northeast of Daraa city. Several tanks and BMPs (armored personnel carriers) were destroyed in the ensuing battle and, as Syria analyst James Miller of EA Worldview told me, what distinguished this rebel sortie from others was that “the fighters didn’t seem concerned about preserving the ammunition for these weapons.”
One plausible scenario would be that these weapons were all coming from Libya, which was one of the initial arms-runners to the Syrian opposition. The former Yugoslavia, which manufactured the M60 and M79, formerly enjoyed warm ties with Muammar Qaddafi, as did Croatia prior to the Libyan revolt and subsequent NATO intervention (former Croatian President Stipe Mesic’ seemed to want those ties to continue regardless).
Video – Syria News Feb. 21, 2013
* French Jihadists fight in Syria
* Fifty-Three Civilians Martyred, 235 Others Injured so far in Terrorist Bombing in al-Thawra Street in Damascus, when a suicide car bomber detonated himself.
* Army Units Continue to Eliminate Terrorists in Several Provinces, Destroy Their Equipment
* Syrian Parties and Unions Condemn Terrorist Bombing in al-Thawra Street in Damascus
* Lebanese FM: Syria’s Security Is Lebanon’s Security
slut på uppdateringen _______________________
Russia Today – At least 31 killed in Damascus car bomb – activists (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
Russia, Arab League back diplomatic solution for Syria
english.ruvr.ru – Arab League chief optimistic on Syria conflict outcome
There are all chances to stop the Syrian war, the Arab League chief Nabil al-Araby told the Voice of Russia.
He added that the Syrian opposition leader Moaz al-Khatib had suggested a dialogue with the country’s government. The idea was backed by the League.
Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Syrian counterpart Walid al-Moallem are scheduled to have talks in Moscow next week to discuss the participation of Damascus in the dialogue.
english.ruvr.ru – UN special envoy Brahimi to extend his peace mission in Syria
UN-Arab League Special Envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi has agreed to extend his mission in the country, a UN diplomat says.
The diplomat, who was speaking on condition of anonymity, made the remarks on Wednesday, AFP reported.
”Brahimi has agreed a six month extension… He clearly feels that there is some life in his mission,” the diplomat stated.
The envoy’s six-month contract with the United Nations and the Arab League is due to end on Friday.